Belleville Council Passes Resolution – Carbon Taxes Proposed for Drive-thrus

Belleville City Council passed a resolution at their April 14 2008 meeting which was forwarded to AMO for distribution to all member municipalities.

A copy of the resolution is attached.

belleville-city-ltr-to-amo-may-8-2008

Changes adopted on drive-throughs

By KATHERINA DEHAAS

A bid to re-open London’s drive-through dust-up on environmental grounds failed at city council last night.

City planning staff had proposed new restrictions on the locations of the fast-food eateries before a massive industry campaign against the move was mounted this spring.

Last week, at a public input meeting of council’s planning committee, a revised plan was accepted — one that would require a business wanting a drive-through in a controlled area to seek a zoning change.

The alternative, as first proposed, had been to write restrictions on locations into the city’s official plan, its blueprint for growth that is tough to change.

Activists who wanted to be heard on the environmental fallout of drive-throughs were told at last week’s input meeting to take their concerns elsewhere, that the planning committee dealt with land issues.

Last night, Coun. David Winninger suggested the issue be sent back to the planning committee, citing environmental concerns.

“We have the second worst air-quality in Ontario,” he said. “Why we defer CO2 to another committee, to another day, is beyond me.”

He compared the drive-through debate to such past issues as whether to ban smoking in public places and to restrict cosmetic use of pesticides, saying he can’t support the recommendations.

“The health and safety effects are too significant.”

He asked more research be done before council is asked to vote on the planning committee’s recommendations.

Coun. Susan Eagle backed the bid for a referral to consider environmental aspects. “If we’re going to do it, let’s do it right, let’s do it once.”

The move to send the issue back failed in a 14-5 vote, and council accepted the recommendations that came out of last week’s planning meeting.

Council’s environment and transportation committee will review the health aspects of drive-throughs this fall, as part of a wider review of the city’s role in climate change.

Council bans new fast-food outlets in South L.A.

From the Los Angeles Times

The one-year moratorium, proposed by Councilwoman Jan Perry, is aimed at attracting restaurants serving healthier fare to the area, where a study found 30% of children are obese.

By Molly Hennessy-Fiske and David Zahniser
Los Angeles Times Staff Writers

July 30, 2008

A law that would bar fast-food restaurants from opening in South Los Angeles for at least a year sailed through the Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday.

The council approved the fast-food moratorium unanimously, despite complaints from representatives of McDonald’s, Carl’s Jr. and other companies, who said they were being unfairly targeted.

Councilwoman Jan Perry, who has pushed for a moratorium for six years, said the initiative would give the city time to craft measures to lure sit-down restaurants serving healthier food to a part of the city that desperately wants more of them.

“I believe this is a victory for the people of South and southeast Los Angeles, for them to have greater food options,” she said.

The ban covers a 32-square-mile area for one year, with two possible six-month extensions.

The area contains about 500,000 residents, including those who live in West Adams, Baldwin Hills and Leimert Park.

The law defines fast-food restaurants as “any establishment which dispenses food for consumption on or off the premises, and which has the following characteristics: a limited menu, items prepared in advance or prepared or heated quickly, no table orders and food served in disposable wrapping or containers.”

A report released last year by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health found 30% of children in South L.A. were obese, compared with 25% of all children in the city.

Still, several fast-food workers told the council that the panel was ignoring the good things their franchises accomplish. The workers argued that fast-food establishments provide residents with job opportunities and, in recent years, nutritious menu options.

“McDonald’s believes in healthy choices,” said Don Bailey, who has owned and operated the company’s restaurants in South Los Angeles for 22 years.

Another foe of the measure was Madelyn Alfano, whose company, Maria’s Italian Kitchen, has restaurants in Sherman Oaks, Brentwood and other parts of the city. Alfano said the law would create new red tape and force restaurateurs to spend thousands more to start businesses.

“The intent of this bill, and this proposal, is a very good one. There is an obesity problem,” said Alfano, whose company recently opened an express version of the restaurant in downtown Los Angeles. But “I don’t think the restaurant industry is to blame.”

Moratoriums frequently last as long as two years at City Hall, to give planning officials enough time to craft new zoning rules. Perry said businesses can apply for a “hardship exemption” if they are intent on opening a fast-food restaurant.

The councilwoman also said she expected city officials to come up with financial assistance for some restaurants.

“This will buy us time to aggressively market the district and show potential developers that we are not only open for business, but have some substantive incentives to make it worth their while to develop in South L.A.,” she said.

molly.hennessy-fiske

@latimes.com

david.zahniser@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-me-fastfood30-2008jul30,0,7844906.story

Joe Mihevc – City of Toronto – Letter of Support

letter-of-support-for-london-moratorium-on-drive-thrus-electronic-version

June 17th, 2008

Dear Members of London’s Planning Committee,

I am writing you today to urge you to support the “Clean Air for Children” campaign to institute a moratorium on new drive-thrus in London, Ontario. In September 2002, Toronto City Council took a courageous stand for the well-being of its residents when it backed my call for a ban on drive-thrus within 30 metres or 100 feet of residential zoned areas. The city-wide ban was inspired by a fight in the midtown Toronto neighbourhood that I represent to stop an individual McDonald’s franchisee’s plans to build a drive-thru at its existing restaurant at St. Clair & Christie.

At the time, such a city-wide ban, using planning restrictions, was a model for other jurisdictions that wished to protect the integrity and pedestrian nature of residentially-zoned areas and concerned with the harm to our air quality caused by idling cars in cue at these drive-thru facilities.

London has a chance to be an environmental leader, by surpassing Toronto’s legislation and adopting a full moratorium on new applications. The fast-food industry lobby is stubborn and well-funded, but the courts have proven in Toronto’s case that municipalities can legislate against these kinds of harmful facilities. I encourage you to make the decision that will best protect the health and well-being of your residents and adopt a full moratorium on drive-thrus in London.

Sincerely,

Joe Mihevc

Toronto City Councillor

Chair, Community Development & Recreation Committee

Vice-Chair, Toronto Transit Commission

Councillors & Contacts Who Are Leading The Fight on Drive-Thrus

There are obviously others in support of a drive-thru moratorium across the country.  Some we are not certain of their position – others we may be unaware.  If you are in support of a drive-thru moratorium or ban but do not see your name listed – please contact us at councilofcanadians.london@sympatico.ca Thank you.

NOVA SCOTIA:

KINGS COUNTY:

Councillor Eric Bolland

ebolland@town.kentville.ns.ca

Wayne Atwater:

councillor.atwater@county.kings.ns.ca

ONTARIO:

SARNIA:

Councillor Anne Marie Gillis

gillisam@ebtech.net

HAMILTON:

Mayor Fred Eisenberger

mayorfred@hamilton.ca

TORONTO:

Councillor Joe Mihevc

councillor_mihevc@toronto.ca

Sean Hill – Executive Assistant to Councillor Joe Mihevc

shill2@toronto.ca

LONDON:

Nancy Branscombe

nancy@nanbran.com

Judy Bryant

jbryant@london.ca

David Winninger

dwinning@london.ca

Gina Barber

gbarber@london.ca

Joni Baechler

jbaechle@london.ca

Susan Eagle

seagle@london.ca

ALBERTA:

EDMONTON:

Councillor Don Iveson

don.iveson@edmonton.ca

Councillor David Theile

dave.thiele@edmonton.ca

MANITOBA:

WINNIPEG:

Councillor Mike O’Shaughnessy

moshaughnessy@winnipeg.ca

BRITISH COLUMBIA:

VANCOUVER:

Councillor Sam Schechter

sschechter@cnv.org

PHYSICIANS:

John Howard, MD, FRCPC -Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics
Children’s Hospital of Western Ontario -Pediatric Division of London Health Sciences Centre
john.howard@lhsc.on.ca

Gideon Forman Executive Director of Cape – Canadian Physicians for the Environment

gideon@cape.ca

LABOUR COUNCILS:

London District Labour Council:

Patti Dalton – President of London and District Labour Council

attidalton@gmail.com

Jim Mahon – London and District Labour Council, Environment Committee

jimahon@ody.ca

GREENPEACE CANADA:

Executive Director – Bruce Cox

bruce.cox@yto.greenpeace.org

A Message to our Elected Officials of the City of London

London – London, The Forest City: We are a caring, responsive community committed to the health and well-being of all Londoners. The actions we take will be socially, environmentally, and fiscally responsible so that out quality of life is enhanced and sustained for future generations. Our people, heritage, diverse economy, strategic location, land and recourses are our strength. – Based on this vision in conjunction with the Stern Report, the city of London must, with urgency, impose a moratorium on all new commercial drive-through operations and establish a timetable to phase out all existing drive-through operations through zoning or other by-laws.

Ultimately – the decision of a moratorium on drive-thrus lies with us. It lies with you. It’s that simple. We can continue to support them – or we can choose to unite and send a clear message that corporate profits and convenience will no longer be tolerated by our society at the expense of our children’s health and our children’s future in a world we have so quickly destroyed.
This is your choice. The choice is clear. This is your legacy.
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.