Be Idle Free!
Some Facts About Idling
- The average Canadian idles their car for about 5-10 minutes per day. Some of this is unavoidable (i.e., waiting at red lights), but a lot of idling is avoidable. This works out to roughly 20,000 to 40,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases per year, or about 1% of all Greenhouse gas emissions from London.
- Your engine uses more fuel when it is cold. The best way to warm it up is to drive it – it warms up faster, and you are already on your way to your destination.
- If every Londoner reduced idling by just 1 minute per day:
- Over 1.5 million litres of gasoline would be saved every year
- 100 tanker trucks of gas would be saved
- $1.2 million would be saved, available to spend elsewhere in London
- Greenhouse gas emissions would be reduced by almost 3,800 tonnes per year
Do Your Part
Help the City of London spread the word. Download the posters here:
Poster 1 (pdf)
Poster 2 (pdf)